Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Work, one week later.

And so, it has been 1 (actually, 2, but time is meaningless these days) since I begun work.

The results so far, are satisfying. I am really enjoying my work.

However, underneath the layers of joy, lies a hidden, darker, intent.

While everyone is pretty much happy and helping each other (Drinking while at work ftw!), there is this politics here and there which I find VERY interesting.

The Deli dudes told me that they dislike my manager. It's not hard to figure out why, given that his choice of language is poor at the best of times.

Now, that action, to me, is very interesting. For one, I have always taken a liking to analysing people by their actions and their speech. By telling me that my manager sucks, it can only be one thing.

The guys in the Deli is testing me.

If I spill on them, I will become the most hated employee in that supermarket soon. However, if I agree with them, those words will come back to haunt me some day.

So, the trick was to simply agree slightly, but at the same time, throwing some praise onto the manager, saying how good he was.

And that's not all. While I was cleaning up, I could hear the guys in the Deli (It is a fairly big department), talking about who is about to fill the vacant I/C spot, and who will be pissed if A or B gets the job.

Ahh. Work place politics.

Admittedly, I don't enjoy playing it, but it is great to watch from the sidelines.

However, what was truly disturbing, was the attitude the people had to their work. Seemingly anyone who has worked more than a month can't be bothered to work hard, or work with a smile. I've heard rather damaging reports that my employer doesn't give a rats ass about its employees, and so on. Of course, some of these came from Cashiers (People here shop with TWO trolleys. And they fill them up. Imaging packing THEM. XD), but when I hear the same things being said by the people in Deli, Seafood and Perishables, it becomes a very interesting issue.

Like they said, I'm still a freshie, so maybe in 6 weeks time, you'll see a very different post from me.

But for now, it brings one question to mind.

Are the employees just simply pampered? Most of them work as a way to obtain extra cash (I know 2 who work to pay off their degree), and most of them are surprised to find that I spend 1 hour to travel to the work place. Some of them are saying that half an hour is too much, when I had to wake up at 4 quite a few times in order to make the train and get to work on time.

Hmm...

Well, until they feel the pain of needing money, I guess they won't care. XD

Check back in 6 weeks time. I might have a different post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home